Thursday 29 April 2010

A LETTER TO THE EDITOR

A reader with a famous name, Mr. R. L. Stevenson, of 8 Morton Crescent, Exmouth addressed the letter below to the Editor of The Exmouth Journal. It was published 27th March 1965.


Sir,

As far as I can see, the only way to become a successful Deep Sea Fisherman is to be blindfolded, gagged and have my hands tied behind my back (quite a handicap when fishing) because the advice I have received to date from the professionals is as follows: -

When setting out I must NOT –

Use a green painted boat.
Go on a Friday the 13th.
See a Minister of Religion or a cross-eyed woman.
Wish another fisherman ‘good luck’.

Also when in the boat I must NOT –

Mention a coney by its proper name (this is fatal).
Whistle.
Comb my hair.
Stick point of knife in boat timbers.
Use an umbrella.

Perhaps some of your nautical readers could tell me a few more things I MUST NOT DO in order to catch fish as I am most anxious to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment